Minutes of the Monthly Meeting held on June 12, 2017, at Committee Room #2 City Hall.
Thomas S. Saras
Ali Mahboub (EsareTV)
Suhanthy Tharmasri Rajah
Arif AhmeAhmed Shah Hotaki
Mohammad- Bagher Samimi
Leila Monteiro Lins
Muhamed FJurany FJR Media
Muhammad Ali Bukhari
Mila Astroga Garcia
- Welcome Remarks by the chair.
- Minutes of the previous meeting
- Report of the President/Discussions
- Presentation by Andrea Horwath Leader Ontario NDP
- Presentation by Yuri Natchetoi and Imran Bashir on the Digital Publishing Platform and Content Management System undertaken by NEPMC
- New Members/New Business
Welcome Remarks by the Chair:
Dr. Tajdolati chaired the meeting and declared the meeting open. Sandeep Prabhakar moved a motion to approve the agenda. Jonathan Annobil seconded it. The motion was carried. .
Minutes of the previous meeting:
Sandeep Prabhakar moved a motion to approve the minutes of the previous monthly meeting Paul Nguyen seconded it. The motion was carried.
- President Thomas Saras reminded the members to renew their membership this year in order to enjoy the benefits and privileges of being a member of NEPMCC. He expressed disappointed that only a portion of members have renewed their membership.
- President Thomas Saras invited all members to an iftaar dinner organized by Ahmadiya Community of Toronto along with NEPMCC on June 16 at City Hall.
- President Thomas Saras forwarded invitation to the members of NEPMCC in press conference where Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan will speak with members of Canada’s Reserves and the Reserve community, at the Moss Park Armoury in Toronto, Ontario, about important investments in the Canadian Armed Forces’ Reserve Force as part of Canada’s new defence policy, on June 13, 2017. The Minister will also present the first grant under the Compensation for Employers of Reservists Program (CERP) to York Regional Police.
- President Thomas Saras informed the members that the first phase of the digital publishing platform has begun from January 2017 and the first phase will be completed by March 2018. He mentioned that the company responsible for the implementation of the Digital Publishing Platform would update 5 websites every month and as a result 60 websites can be migrated every year to the Digital Publishing Platform. He mentioned that the project has been tentatively approved by the Federal Government. With the proposed digital publishing platform, NEPMCC members will be able to publish their content digitally so that it can be consumed by the readers anywhere in the world using their computers and cell phones. This will save the members from maintaining expensive Information Technology (IT) infrastructures that they cannot afford. There were lot of discussions on this project and the President categorically answered all questions on this project posed by the members. He requested members to take advantage of this opportunity and be part of this historic project since there were limited spaces available for enrollment in the first year.
- President Thomas Saras suggested that a 2 day educational seminar on the digital platform be held on September 23 and September 24, where NEPMCC members from all over Canada would be invited for participation.
- President Thomas Saras informed the members that the new Director of Canada Magazines Fund met at the office of the President of NEPMCC to discuss the issues facing the ethnic media industry.
- President Thomas Saras suggested that NEPMCC members should display in their front page 150 years celebrating Canada’s Birthday – He suggested committee be formed on celebrating the 150 years of Canada’s formation on Canada Day. The committee is as follows: Maria Saras Voutsinas, Logan L, Isa Melo, John S, Ricky Castellvi, Ranjit Wicks. The dinner will take place on July 1 at the Cypriot Community Centre. Tickets for the Canada Day Dinner were distributed during the meeting for a subsidized rate of $30.The President encouraged all members to attend this historic event with their families and friends.
- Thomas Saras informed the members that nomination for this year’s annual award will close in June 30.
- Motion: Thomas Saras suggested that the office of the President is authorized to spend for special medals celebrating 150 years of Canada to organizations and individuals who would be recognized this year at the Annual Awards. Srimal Abeyawardene moved a motion in this regard and Jonathan Annobil seconded it. The motion was carried.
Presentation by Andrea Horwath Leader Ontario NDP
The chair welcomed the speaker to make her presentation.
The Ontario NDP leader thanked the chair and highlighted the significance of ethnic press in Canadian Society. She outlined bold plans introduced by the NDP during the spring legislative session to make life more affordable for all Ontarians and to build a better province. “After 14 years of Liberal government families are at a tipping point,” said Horwath. “I am proud to have brought our NDP hydro plan to fix our broken electricity system, lower hydro bills up to 30 per cent, and to return Hydro One to public hands where it belongs.” The Ontario NDP leader told National Ethnic Press members that electricity isn’t a luxury and it should not be priced like one. She also said that she believes no one should have to empty their wallet to get the medicine they need. Horwath said that leadership means putting bold ideas forward to make life more affordable for families and to make Ontario a better province.
Poonan Tabattei, Yuri Natchetoi, Sandeep Prabhakar, Mareck Goodyn, Khalid Magram, Eugenia Backinchow, Janus Raudkavi, Arif Ahmed, Srimal Abeyawardene and other members asked questions on a wide range of topics such as Hydro One, minimum wage increase, green and renewable energy, health care, etc.
The Ontario NDP leader candidly answered all questions and following the roundtable discussions there was picture taking opportunity for the members of NEPMCC.
Presentation/Training by Yuri Natchetoi and Imran Bashir on the Digital Publishing Platform and Content Management System undertaken by NEPMCC
The Chair Dr.Tajdolati invited the next speaker to make his presentation.
Imran Bashir updated the members on the progress of the Digital Publishing Platform. He informed as per the target every month 5 publications are added to the digital platform. He answered a wide variety of questions dealing with all the technical aspects of the digital platform. He offered all possible assistance to the members who are interested in participating in the project.
Yuri Natchetoi distributed manual on how to use the CMS and went over step by step for each processes in the CMS. He answered all questions by members and encouraged them to reach him anytime if they have any questions on the processes of content management or any other technical questions relayed to the digital publishing platform for the members of NEPMCC.
Motion: Sandeep Prabhakar moved a motion that NEPMCC sign a contract with Web Company for increasing traffic and SEO to the National Ethnic Press Council website. Jonathan Annobil seconded it. The motion was carried.
New Members/ New Business:
Rakhee Prabhakar invited all members to the Vibrant Brampton Festival on July 14 and July 15 organized by the by the non-profit group Arts and Culture Initiative of South Asian (ACISA) in Garden Square downtown Brampton. Vibrant Brampton is again all set to come alive to the sights and sounds of South Asian culture and is the largest free South Asian Multi-disciplinary event that will bring a fun-filled two-day festival to Garden Square in front of the Rose Theatre Brampton.
Adjournment: Rakhee Prabhakar moved a motion to adjourn the meeting and Isa Melo seconded it. The motion was carried. The Chair, Dr Tajdolati adjourned the meeting at 9 pm. The next monthly meeting would take place on Monday, July 10, 2017 at the City Hall.