Thomas S. Saras
Hon. Basilio Giordano
LIYANA ARACHCHIGE WASANTHI
Leila Monteiro Lins
Sandie De Freitas
Kathy L. L. Li
Hon. Joe Volpe
Gezahegn Mekonnen Demissie
Muhammad Naeem Ul Islam
Liyana Arachchige Wasanthi
- Welcome Remarks by the chair.
- Minutes of the previous meeting
- President’s Report/Discussions
- New Members/New Business
Welcome Remarks by the Chair:
Mohammed Tajdolati chaired the virtual monthly meeting and declared the meeting open. Roberto Hausman moved a motion to approve the agenda. Yuri Natchetoi seconded it. The motion was carried unanimously.
Minutes of the previous meeting:
Kathy Gerasklis moved a motion to approve the minutes of the previous monthly meeting and Shahidul Islam Mintu seconded it. Minutes of the previous monthly meeting were approved unanimously.
Thomas Saras welcomed everyone to the monthly meeting of July 11, 2022. He highlighted the achievements of the Council over the past few years and specially during the pandemic when members faced additional challenges. He praised the arduous work and dedication of all members who contributed towards its success and specially mentioned Maria Saras Voutsinas who has been tirelessly working for the members during the pandemic. Maria Saras-Voutsinas informed the internship programme has started this year.
- President Thomas Saras mentioned about the Canada Day event on July 8 at the Greek Community Centre. The event was a success as the arrangements were elaborate and lavish for members who attended. He however expressed disappointment that many members who had confirmed their attendance did not show up. This was an opportunity missed by the members who failed to attend and deprived the opportunity to others who could have attended the Canada Day celebrations as the event was limited for invited guests only.
- Motion: There were discussions on the CNE participation. The office of the President of NEPMCC suggested to hire at least two (2) members who would work at the CNE booth of NEPMCC during the CNE days in 2022 from August 19 to September 5. The motion to this effect was moved by Roberto Hausman and seconded by Yuri Natchetoi. The motion was unanimously carried.
- President Thomas Saras updated the members on the financial year 2022-2023 for NEPMCC. He mentioned that members who were approved for the LJI would receive their cheques in the following weeks.
- Motion: President Thomas Saras brought to the table the inauguration of NEPMCC booth at the CNE in August. To this regard there would be a reception on Saturday August 20,at 12:00 noon, for the attending members of NEPMCC. Rosemary Sadlier moved the motion and Arif Ahmed seconded it. The motion was unanimously passed.
- CNE is a great stage to highlight the strength of NEPMCC and Ethnic Media in Canada and President Thomas reminded members to drop their copies for the NEPMCC booth at CNE. This year CNE is back and is expected to have thousands of visitors each day.
- Thomas Saras thanked all the members who donated to NEPMCC. He appreciated their generous donations to organization.
- President Thomas Saras reminded members the annual membership fees for 2022. Many members mentioned the significance and benefits of being a NEPMCC member. NEPMCC has tirelessly worked for decades to educate and influence Governments to take Ethnic Media industry very seriously.
- President Thomas Saras mentioned that next year NEMCC will host a 3–4-day educational seminar in Toronto. Daniela Spirlac would send questionaries to the members for need analysis on the interest of members.
- Members were also reminded to update all their contact information with the office of the President and Daniela Spirlac.
- President Thomas Saras suggested in creating a fund to help international journalists who are being persecuted and tortured in various countries worldwide.
- Mr. Saras informed the members that the LJI budget has been increased for the current year and for the next business year. He encouraged members that have not already done so to apply for funding. He also explained that the Internship Program will continue and that NEPMCC is currently waiting for its approval. Once the approval is received for the next cycle, all qualifying members will be encouraged to apply for it. He mentioned that NEPMCC has already received several applications on file and those that are approved will be funded once the program begins.
- President Saras emphasized that funds allocated under various projects would only be distributed to members who qualify for it
- Thomas Saras urged the members to participate in different projects that are available. If there is lack of adequate participation, the funds would go back to its source and in future the allocations of such funds could be limited.
- Members who wish to participate in projects undertaken by NEPMCC (other than the LJI) must be in good standing and abide by all the codes governing the council. They should also pay all membership dues.
- President Thomas Saras mentioned that LJI payments will be made in 2 weeks.
- President Thomas Saras continued to educate members on various projects undertaken by NEPMCC and especially on the LJI. President Thomas Saras informed about the local initiative program The Local Journalism Initiative (LJI) supports the creation of original civic journalism that covers the diverse needs of underserved communities across Canada. Funding is available to eligible Canadian media organizations to hire an unemployed journalist or pay freelance journalists to produce civic journalism for underserved communities. The content produced will be made available to media organizations through a Creative Commons license so that Canadians can be better informed. He mentioned under this program a publisher can hire qualified journalist or a journalistic student in the final year and get up to a maximum of $30,000 per year. He mentioned that the program has been phenomenally successful. He hoped that the program will continue to receive funds in future. The program also pays for mailing expenses of the copies of the publication to remote communities and provides special prepaid kits to members participating in the program.
- The president also encouraged all the members to apply for an ID or Media Pass of the organization. There are so many benefits; the president said that it is to one’s advantage to have it.
Maria Saras -Voutsinas updated on the various steps taken by NEPMCC to further the cause of the members. She mentioned that NEPMCC is working with industry partners to bring free newspapers under the ambit of Aid to Publishers this year.
Maria Saras mentioned about Google Grant that is available for media in Canada. More in formation on how to access and apply for this grant would be sent via email.
Arif Ahmed - moved a motion to adjourn the meeting and Hon Joe Volpe seconded it. The motion was carried. The Chair Dr. Tajdolati adjourned the meeting at 8:15 PM. The next monthly meeting will take place on Monday, August 08, 2022, via Zoom.
The above notes from the meeting of July 11, 2022, were prepared by Secretary General and Senior VP of the NEPMCC, Neel Nanda.